Dieu Donné seeks Executive Director
Dieu Donné Seeks Executive Director
Dieu Donné is seeking a dynamic executive director to lead this 40-year-young arts institution poised for a full realization of its growth and potential at its new, expanded facility in the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the executive director (ED) will oversee the staff and operations of Dieu Donné (DD). The right candidate will be passionate about DD’s creative mission, demonstrate strategic and entrepreneurial thinking, exhibit a collaborative management style that mirrors the core values of the institution, show capacity to lead a team of dedicated staff and board members, and have successful experience developing mission-driven earned income streams within a non-profit arts institution, fundraising, staff development/mentorship, and fiscal leadership.
Dieu Donné is the leading non-profit cultural institution dedicated to serving artists and the public through the creation of contemporary art and educational programs using the process of hand papermaking.
Founded in New York City in 1976, Dieu Donné pioneered the revolution of hand papermaking as an art medium, first in the neighborhood of Soho, then Chelsea, and now Brooklyn. It is operated by a professional staff in close partnership with its board of directors, and with critical assistance from a large pool of advisors and volunteers. Because of its location in one of the major art centers of the world, the Dieu Donné community and audience is fundamentally diverse and culturally international. With Dieu Donné’s move to the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 2017, we expanded the facilities to include three designated studios for: 1) professional collaboration, 2) education for all ages, and 3) the first open-access, community studio dedicated to papermaking, allowing the institution to fully pursue its mission. Professional collaborations are the core business consisting of funded residencies, subsidized studio rentals, and income-generating publishing projects. Educational programs include classes for all age groups, from hands-on demos for children and teacher training for art instructors and therapists, to technical workshops for professional artists. On-site and off-site exhibitions and events, and professional publications, are critical components of our outreach.
Dieu Donné Executive Director Responsibilities include:
Financial Oversight with Board of Directors
● Developing, with board and staff, short- and long-range goals, strategies and programs, and overseeing their implementation
● Preparing, with Board Treasurer, DD’s annual operating budget, capital budget, and regular cash-flow projections for board review; managing the preparation of the annual audit; and ensuring that the budget is balanced at year end
● Working with Development Director and board on fundraising efforts, including individual donations, grants, sponsorships, membership programs, and the annual benefit event
● Ensuring that contributed income supports the core mission of Dieu Donné
● Developing and implementing a strategy to grow earned income streams—art sales, studio rentals and services, community studio program, and collaborative publishing projects while managing contracts and financial responsibilities with artists, dealers, publishers, and exhibition venues
● Expanding DD’s base of private and institutional collectors of DD art through exhibitions and publishing programs to produce new art annually that receives public recognition, strategic placement, and financial return for institutional sustainability
Branding / Marketing / Communications
● Working with board and staff to promote the institution’s brand locally, nationally, and internationally through effective marketing and participation in art fairs and exhibitions, attending high-profile events and conferences in the art world, developing relationships with art institutions throughout NY and internationally
● Engaging with the public to broaden understanding and appreciation of handmade paper art (includes tours, talks/lectures, presentations by resident artists, etc.)
● Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with volunteers, community groups, and the general public
● Ensuring that the DD archive of Paper Art is promoted and available for use by scholars, curators, artists, and collectors
● Managing the staff, operations, and overall program development and implementation; includes hiring, training, motivation, and evaluation of employees; ensuring that the necessary structure, policies, systems, controls, evaluative mechanism, and procedures are in place and functioning effectively
● Reporting to the Board of Directors, attending board meetings, sitting on relevant board committees, and assisting the work of all board committees
● Ensuring that the conduct of DD’s business is in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations of the State of NY and policies established by the board
● Significant experience managing an institution with multifaceted services and constituencies, ideally in the arts
● Degree in arts administration considered an advantage
● Ability to implement long-term vision
● Excellent interpersonal communication skills
● Enthusiasm for teamwork
● Confidence in representing and promoting DD to artists, collectors, businesses, government, media, major donors and partners in the NY, national and international art scene
● Demonstrated strategic leadership and vision to take an organization to the next level of growth and service
● Experience developing earned income streams in the visual arts, especially through activation of an art collector base
● Demonstrated capacity to lead successful annual fundraising efforts on all levels (individual donors, foundations, public agencies) as well as capital campaign efforts.
● Ability to assist in recruiting, training, developing and engaging an energetic board of directors to achieve the strategic goals of the organization
● Competency in a variety of desktop platforms such Mac OS, Google Drive, Word, Excel, FileMaker (ArtBase), Adobe
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package offered.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, a résumé detailing relevant experience, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are accepted, until August 1, 2018 or until position is filled. Submissions will be acknowledged as received. Interviews will be scheduled promptly as Dieu Donné hopes to fill this position by September 15, 2018. Dieu Donné is an Equal Opportunity Employer.