Community Papermaking Studio
New program opening in early 2018!
The Dieu Donné Community Papermaking Studio provides individuals with an opportunity to create using the medium of handmade paper. Artists, papermakers, and individuals have the opportunity to work independently, and as part of a vibrant community, in a shared professional papermaking studio with generous and flexible fours of access and with specialized papermaking equipment.
Member access includes:
- Independent use of 875 square foot fully equipped papermaking studio at the Brooklyn Navy Yard with access 7 days per week until from 8 AM-12 AM.
- Core training in art-making using the medium of papermaking, and opportunities to take classes in techniques such as: embedding, blowouts and watermarks; pulp painting, stenciling and pigmenting; casting with molds and laminate casting.
- Access to a 2 lb. David Reina pulp beater
- Use of papermaking moulds ranging from 8 1⁄2 x 11” to 18 x 24“
- Use of forced air drying systems for work up to 22 x 30”
- Materials including: methyl cellulose, retention aid, sizing, formation aid, access to community felts and pellons for color work
- Small individual storage areas for each artist (Ability to store three 5-gallon containers with lids and small storage shelf as available.)
Additional benefits include:
- Ability to purchase unbeaten fibers in-house
- Discount of 15% on Dieu Donné adult education classes
- Reduced hourly rate for individual studio assistance and pulp preparation
- Eligibility to participate in member exhibitions and events
- Membership Information & Application (coming soon)
Please sign up here to receive more information about forthcoming Community Studio opportunities: